Monday, March 2, 2015

#100daysofart: creatively recharging one day at a time ...























I am an artist. 

It is just that simple.

I was born one and, when my parents encouraged me to create, express and go on to study the subject matter in the world of higher education, it became not only who I was on the inside, but who the world perceived me to be as well.

As adulthood weighs heavy on our shoulders and the responsibilities associated with building and blossoming into this You 2.0 dulls your senses, many of us let the artistry of childhood fall by the wayside and 'real life' sink in.

I have maintained my status as artist, both in person and profession for many years, a fact of I am extraordinarily proud of, but one that can be a challenge to maintain from time to time. This is especially true when life gets hard and for me - it has gotten hard. Real hard.

Instead of returning to my brush or relying on my pen I find that, when I sink down into the cobalt blues I prefer to space than to create. This nagging feeling, paired with one of the few true benefits of social media, just the other day I was inspired. A fellow real life adult and artist had chosen to take the #100daysofart challenge and post it to her instagram. When questioned about the project she said, and I am paraphrasing, that this too was something she needed to exercise.

Not wanting my creative quads to atrophy, I decided to assign myself the challenge of creating something new, witnessing something beautiful, or learning something enlightening everyday and, in turn, sharing it with the cyber-world at large.

I will be documenting this atypical journey through my own instagram, blog and on SOAlife, I hope you come along for the ride and I hope it inspires you too to do some squats for the soul.

No comments: